Scotch Eggs: A Delicious and Easy-to-Make Appetizer
Scotch eggs are a classic British appetizer that is made with hard-boiled eggs that are coated in sausage meat and then deep-fried. They are a delicious and hearty snack that is perfect for parties or potlucks.
- 6 hard-boiled eggs
- 1 pound ground sausage
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Oil, for frying
- Peel the hard-boiled eggs and cut them in half lengthwise.
- In a bowl, combine the ground sausage, breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
- Form the sausage mixture into 6 balls, about the size of the eggs.
- Press one of the sausage balls onto each half of an egg, covering the entire egg.
- Heat the oil in a deep fryer or large skillet to 350 degrees F.
- Fry the scotch eggs for 2-3 minutes per side, or until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels and serve immediately.
- To make the scotch eggs ahead of time, hard-boil the eggs and form the sausage mixture into balls. Then, wrap each egg in plastic wrap and freeze. When you are ready to cook, thaw the scotch eggs and fry them according to the instructions.
- For a different flavor, try adding different herbs or spices to the sausage mixture. Some popular options include thyme, sage, rosemary, and cayenne pepper.
- Scotch eggs can also be baked instead of fried. To bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and bake the scotch eggs for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown.
Scotch eggs are a delicious and easy-to-make appetizer that is perfect for parties or potlucks. They are also a great way to use up leftover hard-boiled eggs. So next time you are looking for a quick and easy appetizer, give scotch eggs a try. You won’t be disappointed!